There are projects that sometimes can proceed for interlock or paving block works while progressing the main project. This is sometime a technique of the management to avoid workers to be idle if they have extra people while the project is at starting stage.
So here are the method statement for interlock work that you might want to learn how it will be done.
Method Statement for Interlock Works
2. Purpose and scope
The purpose of this method statement is to describe the measures and ways of proper installation of interlock or paving block within our project. The work will be as per the project specification and approved drawing.
3. Work procedure
- Before interlock work starts, make sure that sub-grade is compacted when the area is above natural ground.
- The sub-base shall be compacted with vibratory roller, size of roller shall be suitable for the area where it could maneuver and can move back and fort.
- Once compacted and met the specification requirement for compaction and approved by Engineer, base course shall then be placed above compacted sub-base but make sure thickness of the bases are as per approved drawing.
- MEP rough-in or underground embedments (wherever applicable) shall be in placed before interlock work commences.
- In the areas where there are kerb stone, the blinding shall be constructed first serve as the base but make sure it shall be as per drawing.
- The importance of pre-installation of kerb stone is to prevent the migration or dis-alignment of interlock or block, and it will serve as reference line or level.
- After compaction of base-course, the black sand shall be laid on it of 50 mm thick. There are cases that the bedding is mixed with cement to adhere cohesiveness but it will be as per specification requirements.
- Installation of Interlock or Paving block
- The minimum thickness of interlock shall be 60mm with various colors. Approved interlock or paving block shall be used in the installation.
- The dimension, thickness and design shall be as per approve shop drawing.
- Land surveying shall be made to mark the required levels, alignments, setting out lines for interlock as per approved drawing.
- Once the whole area is completed, fine sand can then laid on the installed interlock or paving block. Sand shall be spread evenly on the whole area.
- Plate compactor shall be used to compact the installed interlock or paving blocks.
- Once compacted, cleaning shall be followed to remove all excess sand and damaged pieces.
- Inspection request will then be submitted to the Engineer for approval.
- All works shall comply with safety procedure or instruction set out in project safety plan and Municipality rules and regulations.
- Basic PPE to be worn by all staff or laborers.
- All operatives involve in this work shall be inducted before entering the site.
- Tool box talk shall be conducted regularly.
5. Equipments and tools
- Interlock cutter
- Plate compactor
- Wheel borrow
6. Materials and references
- 60mm thick Interlock Tile or paving block
- Approved Drawing