Construction specifications can be said to be a detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work. Furthermore, in its entirety, is a comprehensive description of an aim or objective for a development project. It contains all the goals, details, and fundamental functionality required by a developmental team to fulfill the aspirations of a given client. Even as the world of construction evolves, and adapt to the challenges of digitalization, specifications remain an integral part of any construction process because, for one, it describes in words what can’t be seen or explained on a drawing.
Construction specification, therefore, is important as long as construction is concerned; it is also applicable to other industries like the automobile and manufacturing industries. Specifications are needed right from the design stage until a project is fulfilled. It can even serve as part of contract documentation.
As the yardstick against which project is measured, specifications can help in building a huge project since it covers everything from the quality of the systems and products, applicable standards and its execution, performance criteria of an asset, the contract type to be used and products to be used. To a great extent, it even covers the establishment of the site. Through specifications, the procurement route which depends on the project requirements can be determined, be it performance-based or prescriptive-base.
A well outlined, clear, and concise construction specification which contains all necessary information can save a lot of time and money for the project team, the client, and the contractor since it will provide detailed answers to many on-site construction questions. Irrespective of its simplistic nature, the importance of specifications in huge project execution cannot be over-emphasized. Over and above all, it offers among other things the following gain:
1. It supports the interpretation of the clients’ needs and gives the client assurance that the commissioned asset is being delivered.
2. Manufactures products and materials can easily be clearly defined and documented. Furthermore, installations, testing, and handover requirements can be identified well.
3. A good construction or projection specification provides clear instructions on the purpose, performance, and execution of a given project, and can also reference the standard, and quality to be applied
4. Classifications included in the construction or project specification can be used to succor and help the running and handover of assets.
5. The specification can be used to support the costing of any project. This doesn’t only include the products and materials but also the performance and the workmanship.
6. The construction or project specification along with the drawings forms part of the contractual documents and therefore can help checkmate project risk. It also provides support if any legal disputes should arise.
7. It is essential both in the construction phase and is also used as part of the soft landing process, subsequent asset management, and the lifecycle plan.
8. The model or the drawing does not necessarily need to be overloaded with elaborate information, which most times, can be difficult to identify.
9. There is the presence of option for a design team in a construction spec to execute a project completely, which would improve efficiency while providing quality assurance and consistency in the project.
10. Specification for any project should be used by the team of project experts throughout the construction phase. Furthermore, since it is a living document, its use should not be discontinued at the design phase.
11. Construction specification can also be used for the project audit trail. It should also form part of the handover documents. In this way, it will form the basis for the running of the asset by the management team.
From the following advantages offered by construction specification, building a huge project won’t be attainable without it. It shouldn’t be underestimated since it offers simple but detailed and complete functionality and description of any project. It is important in all spheres of life but plays a huge role in construction. The gains gotten from construction specifications are huge and instantaneous. For instance, when quoting prices for a project, a professional developmental team will take into account all the risks that may arise since anything ambiguous will raise the price; but a simple and concise project spec can nip this from the bud.
This is a project document that a quality engineer should read before attending an inspection on site.
Construction specification being a comprehensive description of the objectives for a development project contains all goals, functionality, and details required for a development team to fulfill the vision of the client. Since all clients will like to know what they are paying for before commissioning a huge project, offering him the specifications of that project will go a long way in proving that the developmental team knows what they are doing. Project specs should not only be limited to huge projects but be extended to any project at all for a greater success rate.