Quality engineers have a task that is solely dependent on the overall aesthetic and integrity of the product or project. The weight of their task is so enormous that handling them poorly or withholding training that they need in order to save cost would be a bad choice. Quality engineers need to be equipped with modern and up-to-date knowledge. As the construction industry continually expand nowadays, so must the standards and specifications alongside it.
I remember one time there was a call from an HR asking if I had a “training certificate” of an international standard. I was lucky that I could answer “Yes!” Because at that time, I already have the training he was looking for. You can also reply with a “Yes,” if you are prepared.
And in my opinion, this is the way how a quality engineer could double his job offer , because having the right training will definitely boost your career, in fact, it’s called a “career booster.” If you visit my about me page, you can see what training I have done.
So, without further ado, here are some of the most common training that quality engineers can get to upgrade their knowledge and boost their career.
1. Lead Auditor ISO 9001:2015 (Best trainings for quality engineer)
When a quality engineer gets a Lead Auditor ISO 9001:2015 certification, it means that he or she is a globally certified individual who can lead audit teams because they understands the specifications, principles, and standards of auditing. Thi means, an ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor could efficiently do auditing works from the examination, asking the proper questions, to evaluation and creation of effective reports, to knowing any inadequacy and deficiencies a quality system has.
Furthermore, if you are ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor certified, it means that you meet and pass the examinations given by any certification body and that you have in-depth knowledge of the ISO 9001 specifications and standards and how they can be effectively applied in the audit context.
This can be applied within the project in day-to-day activities from documentation processes to site construction activities. A set of qualifications are required for a professional engineer to get one. If you are interested, it is advised that you study the currently published ISO 9001:2015 version before attending the course.
2. Certified Quality Engineer (CQE), American Standard for Quality (ASQ)
Certified Quality Engineers, duly named by the American Standard for Quality are professionals who thoroughly understand the principles of output product and service quality evaluating and controlling.
Getting one of these certificates shows that you will be able to understand the principles of efficiently developing and operating a quality system control, and analyzing and applying the inspection and testing procedures. Further, you will be equipped with proper methodologies for extracting data from statistical records, in order to determine and diagnose improper or correct practices in quality control.
In addition, you will understand and know the factors that affect motivations. You will also be able to familiarize yourself with the concept of costs related to quality and techniques and to audit departments or systems for any inadequacy or deficiency for corrections.
3. Applied Project Management (PMP) – A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge
The Project Management Body of Knowledge, commonly known as PMBoK, is a collection of manual or processes, knowledge, and idea areas which are universally accepted to be effective and are even deemed to be the best practices in project management.
This manual was realized by the Project Management Institute or PMI as a result of actively documenting results from multiple actual project management examples. This is a field in the construction industry in which quality engineers should be knowledgeable because they also relate to workers, materials, cost and timeline.
Engineers equipped with this training are expected to be able to take calculated and minimal risk, that pertains to project management. If you are able to get this qualification, it shows that you are capable enough to work around with acceptable, traditional, and good practices.
Mostly, engineers who are working on construction projects are the ones who ought to take up this training, including engineers from supervision consultant up to Project Management Consultant (PMC).
4. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, commonly known as OSHA, is a United States-based agency under the Department of Labor. This agency ensures healthy working conditions and a safe working environment by enforcing requirements, qualifications, and standards. They also provide workplace safety and health training.
By pursuing or getting this qualification, you will be certified to enforce safety and health-related standards in the construction industry. This task of safety officers or personnel are most relevant for this qualification in the day-to-day construction workplace. In fact, no construction projects will commence without defined safety and health standards and regulations. This has to be set ahead of everything else as health, welfare, and the lives of people are at stake if left compromised.
5. Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSGB)
If you are a certified Six Sigma Green Belt, it means that you are a person who professionally demonstrates and as duly knowledgeable in the Six Sigma processes and tools. Six Sigma is a globally known set of guidelines, laid down and presented by the American Society of Quality, or ASQ.
Normally, this Six Sigma Green Belt exam is multiple choice, meaning it is narrated and interactive course for the examiners to determine your level of understanding the context or exam.
Before taking or pursuing the CSSGB, furthermore, there are several related training courses that you may explore should you want to like Design of Experiments, Lean for Services and others.
Quality Engineer Tips
• You should take up ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Training in order to know more about the quality management system. If you want to take this up later because of an important reason, I recommend reading the ISO 9001:2015 and have an advanced study guide.
• You should consider Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) training. I took this qualification after a few months of taking Lead Auditor Training. This was the textbook we used during the training. The same thing applies – you are advised to have an advance copy of the book.
• Project Management Body of Knowledge was the 3rd qualification I got. For Quality Engineer, I recommend getting this training after ISO and CQE. To give you insights, we’ve studied almost all management positions in the project. Whether it be project management, construction management, procurement management, quality management and so on, having a Project Management book as a guide while you are preparing to take up the training could be an advantage.
• For project managers or construction managers, this training is a “Must.” You could also consider having the Project Management Templates, as this will ensure you have a good management template for your project. For project engineers and site engineers, if you decide to get this training, it would be a good advantage for you to learn in advance.
These are some but not all qualifications that quality engineers can get. If properly trained and equipped with all of these qualifications, then without a doubt, potential employers will see you as someone who understands efficiency and better construction standard.
In general, some of the training courses mentioned above must be taken also by other project staff, mainly project managers, construction managers, procurement staff, and others. The Project Management or PMP training is best suited for them. This course mainly discusses management, and there are some lessons in quality management as well as about Safety on site.
Hi Sir Noel,
I’m a Civil Engineer in profession here in Singapore, I would like to know where I can do training for certified quality engineer. Do you have any online class? Kindly send me full details in email.
Regards with thanks,